Last month, President Donald Trump issued a dire warning that the Iranian regime’s recent prisoner exchange with the Biden Administration, allowing them to access over $6 billion in funds, would result in a Iranian terror attacks.
On September 11, the Biden Administration announced that it had secured the release of five American citizens held in Iranian custody in exchange for $6 billion of Iranian funds held in South Korea.
The funds had previously been frozen due to US sanctions against the Islamic Republic.
Five Iranians held in US jails were also released as part of the agreement.
Trump condemned the deal on Truth Social at the time:
“Can you believe that Crooked Joe Biden is giving $6 Billion to the terrorist regime in Iran? That money be used for terrorism all over the Middle East and, indeed, the World. This incompetent FOOL is absolutely destroying America.”
“He had the audacity to announce this terrible deal today, September 11,” Trump continued.
“To pay for hostages will lead to kidnapping, ransom, and blackmail against Americans across the globe. I freed many dozens of our people from various unfriendly countries and never paid a dime!”
Can you believe that Crooked Joe Biden is giving $6 Billion to the terrorist regime in Iran? That money be used for terrorism all over the Middle East, and, indeed, the World. This incompetent FOOL is absolutely destroying America. He had the audacity to announce this terrible… pic.twitter.com/vRynRtdfta— Donald J. Trump Posts From His Truth Social (@TrumpDailyPosts) September 11, 2023
A month after Trump issued the statement, a wave of Iranian terror attacks left 600 Israelis dead and at least 100 more taken hostage.
Trump referenced Iran’s likely involvement in the attacks during another statement over the weekend.
“These Hamas attacks are a disgrace and Israel has every right to defend itself with overwhelming force,” Trump wrote in a press release.
“Sadly, American taxpayer dollars helped fund these attacks, which many reports are saying came from the Biden Administration,” the statement continued.
“We brought so much peace to the Middle East through the Abraham Accords, only to see Biden whittle it away at a far more rapid pace than anyone thought possible.”
Over 600 Israeli civilians and military personnel have lost their lives, while over 100 civilians, including many children and elderly, have been kidnapped and transported to the Gaza Strip.
More than 500 rockets were fired from the Gaza Strip in the attack, the Israeli-based newspaper Haaretz reported.
For comparison, around 4,000 rockets were fired over the course of the 11-day Gaza Strip conflict in 2021.
“We are at war, not an operation,” Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in a statement.
“Hamas has launched a murderous surprise attack against the State of Israel and its citizens. I ordered first of all to cleanse the settlements of the terrorists who had infiltrated and ordered a large-scale mobilization of reserves.”
As CNN reported:
Hamas military commander Muhammad Al-Deif called the operation “Al-Aqsa Storm” and said that the assault on Israel was a response to attacks on women, the desecration of the al-Aqsa mosque in Jerusalem, and the ongoing siege of Gaza.
Hamas said it captured Israeli soldiers, posting videos of soldiers it allegedly captured on its social media accounts.
Videos geolocated and authenticated by CNN suggested that at least one Israeli soldier was taken prisoner by the group. On Sunday, the IDF published the names of 44 soldiers it says were killed in the attack.
Hamas said in a statement the same day that its fighters were still present in southern Israeli cities, and that the group was supporting them with rocket fire in the cities of Ofakim, Sderot, Yad Mordechai, Kfar Aza, Be’eri, Yated, and Kissufim.
The Jerusalem Post reported:
Hamas’s attacks on Israel, which began Saturday morning, were planned weeks in advance with assistance from Iranian security officials, according to a Sunday report from The Wall Street Journal.
The report, citing senior members of Hamas and Hezbollah, stated that the Iranian officials “gave the green light” for the attacks during a meeting between them and Hamas in Beirut last week.
IRGC officers worked with Hamas since August to plan incursions from the “air, land, and sea,” the report noted. Officers of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps were also at the meetings in Beirut.
Backing by Iran
Iran’s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, had praised the attacks, posting on X earlier this week that the cancer of the usurper Zionist regime will be eradicated at the hands of the Palestinian people and the Resistance forces throughout the region.” Formerly known as Twitter, X stated that Khamenei’s post violated the platform’s rules.
At least 700 Israelis were killed and around 2,300 injured in attacks by Hamas since Saturday morning, with the number expected to rise.